There are so many benefits to porcelain veneers, the main one being that they can make your teeth look amazing. But, there are some things you should do to make sure that your veneers stay in good shape so they can keep your smile beautiful for years to come. Read on for some tips for taking care of your veneers!
Why get veneers?
Porcelain veneers are thin shells that fit over teeth, to cover imperfections such as stains, chips, or cracks. They can also help to fix gaps in between teeth and teeth that are crooked. Porcelain is used because it is very durable, tough, and long lasting, but it also looks a lot like natural teeth. Getting porcelain veneers is also a simple process. It takes two appointments and you can get right back into your day as soon as you leave your dentist’s office.
Veneers are also fairly easy to take care of – you can brush and floss just as you normally would. However, there are some things you should keep in mind to keep your veneers looking their best:
• Porcelain veneers are stain resistant – to a point. To keep them looking good for years and years, you’ll want to avoid things that can stain your veneers (as well as your teeth that don’t have veneers). Don’t smoke or chew tobacco. Limit foods and drinks that can stain teeth, such as blueberries, tomato sauce, red wine, coffee, and tea.
• If you grind your teeth at night, you should let your dentist know – he or she might recommend a nightguard to protect your veneers.
• Avoid chewing on anything hard, such as fruit pits, ice, and hard candy. You should also avoid sticky foods.
• Avoid chewing on nonfood objects as well, such as pens and pencils.
• Make sure you keep up with good oral hygiene habits – brush twice a day, floss at least once a day, and eat a healthy diet.
Porcelain veneers can do amazing things for your smile – all they need is a little special care. If you are interested in porcelain veneers, call Pound Ridge Cosmetic Dentistry. Call 914-764-3540 for an appointment today!