Kids, unfortunately, do not come with instruction books, and they are always finding ways to surprise us. Do you have some questions about your children’s teeth and how to take care of them? The staff at Pound Ridge Cosmetic Dentistry is always here to help, but here are a few tidbits that might answer some of your questions.
5+ things you should know about your children’s oral health
Here are some things to keep in mind when it comes to keeping your children’s teeth healthy:
1. It may sound a bit early, but your child should start seeing a dentist before they are a year old. And, just like adults, they should see their dentist every 6 months (unless your dentist says otherwise).
2. Once your child reaches the age of 3 or 4, they shouldn’t be using a pacifier or sucking their thumb anymore. By that age these habits can start to affect how their teeth are coming in, which can also affect their bite alignment and the health of their jaw.
3. Even before they have teeth, you can keep their gums healthy. Wipe their gums with a damp cloth after every feeding. This not only helps to keep their mouth clean, but it gets them comfortable with dental care and prepares them for when their first tooth comes in, which is when you should start brushing their teeth with a grain-of-rice sized amount of toothpaste.
4. By the time they are around 6 years old, they should be able to brush their teeth without supervision from an adult. They should also brush and floss teeth twice a day.
5. Yes, you should take good care of their baby teeth. They will begin to fall out when your child is around 6, but they serve an important purpose. They help ensure the proper spacing of permanent teeth, and if baby teeth have cavities or other problems it can lead to other issues.
If you have any questions or concerns about your child’s teeth or if it’s just time for their first cleaning, call Pound Ridge Cosmetic Dentistry. Call 914-468-4759 for an appointment today!